Project Management in Information Technology
Open group, Corporate
IT Project Management gives a structured approach to the development and implementation of information technology.
In this course, during three days students use the best industry practices of starting, planning, implementing, controlling, and closing the IT-project. They explore the common methodology and base tools of project management in connection to IT-projects. The participants will:
- acquire the working method for the transition from ideas and plans to the execution of specific tasks;
- learn how to check the planning accuracy (both personal and of other team members);
- have moved beyond the understanding of the risk probability in the project to real actions of risk mitigation;
- learn how to create the obvious easy project reports and forecasts.
- Effective methods of IT project management.
- Discussion of the benefits and implications of different approaches to IT development.
- Techniques of the resource estimation and the tools for IT project monitoring and control.
- Best praxis of the risk uncovering, analyzing, and control.
- Leading methods of the IT project implementation in keeping with a schedule, in budget borders, in accordance with technical requirements, and to achieve the client’s goal.
- CIO’s (to understand the processes and roles used for IT system development)
- IT Project Managers (to extend and improve their own skills)
- Junior Project Managers (to speed up their own career advancement)
- Senior Engineers and Team Leads (to understand what the project managers and top management require)
- Review of IT project management
- Project life cycles and adaptation
- Start of project
- Requirements management
- Developing and coordination of project plans
- Defining of scope
- Developing of schedule
- Budget planning
- Planning of anti-risk activities
- Team building
- Communication planning
- Project change management
- Project monitoring and control
- Check and acceptance of project deliverables
- Project conclusion
- A pre-test to assess the initial orientation in the field of project management (to determine the level of training of the group).
- Group exercise on choosing the IT project (as a case for the training) and the development of the Project Plan.
- The skill training on the understanding of clients’ requirements.
- Group exercise on the Project Charter development.
- Group exercise on WBS development.
- Individual-group test for the assessment of team problem solving of planning stages of the project.
- Group exercise on Project Schedule development and analysis by the critical path method.
- Group exercise to identify project milestones.
- Group exercise on the preparation of the project reports based on the S-curves, and the list of milestones.
- Individual-group exercise on the identification of project risks and planning responses to the risks.
- Business game to test the skills of multi-project management in a resource-limited environment, and the conflict resolution.
- The task to collect lessons learned.
- The final test to assess the completeness of the learning material.
The knowledge and skills
Participants will gain in-depth knowledge of key concepts and terminology of IT project management. At the end of the training, participants acquire the following knowledge and skills:
- Explain the basic concepts of the IT project management
- Define and manage requirements for the IT project
- Define the project life cycle
- Define and build the project team
- Develop the project charter
- Develop the project management plan and baselines
- Define and breakdown the project scope
- Create a realistic project schedule
- Analyze the project budget (no matter in money or in manpower, it depends on your organization policy only)
- Define and manage the project risks
- Develop the project communication plan
- Work at the resource-limited conditions
- Manage the IT product life cycle
- Make changes to the project baselines (cost, schedule, scope)
- Develop the project status report
- Organize the check and acceptance of the project deliverables
- Close the project properly, and collect the lessons learned